PDA

View Full Version : Cases for Catalyst Systems

bright
06-11-2007, 10:22 AM
Hi there

just wondering what kind of cases everybody else uses for taking their G5 Cat Systems out on the road. Are you still using the Anvil Cases, HES used to sell the servers in? Are Intel Macs ment to be used in an not upright position?

Anybody built a nice Cat Case themselves? I would love to see some pics of good sollutions for our new systems.

Any help would be apreciated. Thanks in advance.

Thomas

Gian
06-11-2007, 11:42 AM
Here couple pictures from our cases, a case cia here in Brasil did it for us, on our design....

They have...

A Mac Pro / or G5 - UP position

on the side, a 19 inch,... all togheter, already connected etc...

ArtNet or CIB
2 LaCie Firewire 800 External Disks for extra content, Backup. Rackmount
4 Extron 1 x 4 DAs RGBHV HD
Gigabit Swithcher
Shelfs... inside a Triplehead, a Pinacle DV and some cabling
APC No Break - we used befor a white one, but we now have a Black 1500 Rackmount unit.

bright
06-11-2007, 12:07 PM
Thanks for that. Quite impressive and huge ;-)

Keep the ideas comming. Anybody else with nice case ideas for the servers?

Woodj32177
06-11-2007, 02:19 PM
On a side note,
I have a Mac Pro in a old High End style case, and it runs just fine on its side.
I believe the computers you were not supposted to run on their side was the Quad 2.5Ghz G5's.
They were liquid cooled, and would leak if turned on their side.

Joshua Wood

SourceChild
06-11-2007, 06:39 PM
Gian's cases are impressive.

I am designing a new case with a very small footprint.
The case is large enough for the Mac Pro but on the side of the case I am mounting very small rack mount displays.

For me it is very important to have a small footprint because I usually try to get the roadcase on the airplane with me when I fly to a show.

If you are interested in some of the design ideas I've come up with, contact me.

I'm in Austin, TX ( 5 1 2 ) 4 2 6 - 4 0 0 4

RedLightning
06-11-2007, 08:19 PM
I have two built for me by ECM in Toronto Ontario. I will post pictures asap

-s

bright
06-11-2007, 09:57 PM
Thanks for both replies. I would be very interested to see the sollutions of both of you :-)

TODD: I really would apreciate if you would share your ideas. My email is t.giegerich (at) bright.de

Mr_P
07-11-2007, 01:37 AM
Heres a link to a few different designs from various gigs I've done.
http://gallery.mac.com/simonpugsley#100001

My catalyst is based on the XL 20u single rack - the UPS will move when I add image-pros - LCDs will move to an external box (not in the drawer)

I used to take care and build the XL Catalyst dual and single racks - the majority used to remain permanently cabled with 2 scan converters and a decent rear panel. Changes were made on a job per job basis.

Neg Earth Racks are well designed but don't include scan converters and are difficult to fault find.

Lite Alternative racks are compact and use all available space - not a lot of rack space though.

The old HES racks are fine for 'basic' setup, if you're happy with the mac on its side.

An 18-22u suspended rack seems to be the best starting point.....

Enjoy

Simon

Gian
07-11-2007, 10:53 AM
I know, Flying with our systems are hard.

It is huge,.. nut evreyhing comes already connected (Just plug at a outlet)...

Regards

bright
07-11-2007, 11:32 AM
Thanks everybody for the great input. Keep it comming :-)

Peter
15-11-2007, 08:24 AM

My catalyst is based on the XL 20u single rack - the UPS will move when I add image-pros - LCDs will move to an external box (not in the drawer)

I used to take care and build the XL Catalyst dual and single racks - the majority used to remain permanently cabled with 2 scan converters and a decent rear panel. Changes were made on a job per job basis.

Where did you get the 19" alu mountings which you use for the macpro and drawer? And was the 19" frame shocmounted? Great photo's!

SourceChild
15-11-2007, 09:22 AM
I really would appreciate if you would share your ideas.

I made a few changes and I have been busy working on another project. I will be in touch with you soon once I have ironed out my ideas.

Basically, I am trying to design a roadcase that has a 2' x 2' x 2' cube footprint.

Simon made a comment about "easy to troubleshoot." So I thought more and changed my ideas.

The idea I had was to have an 8-core Mac Pro, 2 TH2G (for 6 outputs), 2 Marshal 3 screen rack LCD, and an easy access port for getting to the VDAs, and converters.

I am still debating on the output signal

6 5-wire BNC ports
6 DVI Ports
6 RJ-45 with internal DVI over ethernet Extenders
6 SDI outputs wih 6 internal DVI to SDI convertersThe problem is that different people have different capabilities. I prefer using SDI since many projectors have SDI inputs but as a secondary I would prefer DVI and use ethernet extenders.

I am even considering a KVM solution rack with built in 15" Monitors, keyboard and mouse.

Obviously the more devices in the signal path the greater the potential for failure but if I can enhance the efficiency of a system, it is tremendous in value.

This is a subject I would encourage a great deal of feedback on.

SourceChild
15-11-2007, 09:26 AM

Looking at the systems and knowing some of the things you've shown, you'd be an interesting person to know. I might be inclined to talk with you more about things that have worked and what doesn't.

Mr_P
16-11-2007, 10:40 PM
Where did you get the 19" alu mountings which you use for the macpro and drawer? And was the 19" frame shocmounted? Great photo's!

Yes the internal frame is shouckmounted.

The single rack has a custom made Rackmount frame.
The construction is VERY simple - its a box with re-enforces alu edges and an equal angle alu strip on each side which allows it to be bolted in to any 19in rack. The Mac part is foamed on each side. The drawer is for cables etc. However, by some fluke, we purchased monitors that actually fit in the drawer!! (I'll post a pic on my gallery) Unfortunately, sony dont make those monitors any more :(

The Dual rack has a 19in dual server mount - which is no longer available from the original supplier - as they went bust. Im trying to get a local aluminium fabricator to 'enhance' the design - for the moment, its cheaper to use a dual box version (similar to the single) but with no drawer

If anyone want to purchase a single or dual insert (or whole system) feel free to contact me for a quote.

Simon

Simon Pugsley
SNP Productions Ltd (UK)
Mobile: +44 (0)7958 390034
simon@snp-productions.co.uk

Mr_P
16-11-2007, 10:42 PM
Looking at the systems and knowing some of the things you've shown, you'd be an interesting person to know. I might be inclined to talk with you more about things that have worked and what doesn't.

Feel free - i accept all invites to the US....

Richard knows me well and has further contact details from those show above

Simon

RedLightning
18-11-2007, 05:39 AM
Here are my two Catalyst cases built by Engineered Case in Toronto Ontario Canada.
8-ru shock-mounted rack rail,
side compartment for cables etc
keyboard/console shelf
drawer
shock-mounted vertical Mac position
custom foam for 2 19" widescreen monitors
front/back lids
overall height just under 4'

-s

Mr_P
18-11-2007, 04:08 PM
They look really well designed...
I like the rackspace

Do you have any pics of the rear and the bit under the drawer.

S

emilianomorgia
19-11-2007, 04:07 AM
in my opinion Catalyst Rack don't need to be a workstation . Because Catalyst it's not a workstation .

Catalyst it's just a server you don't need to operate it during showtime and you don't need monitor feedback .

What I'll like to suggest you if are thinking to do some investment it's to buy a little Mac Book ( around 1000 euro ) Two monitors ( around 700 euro ) And if you are using 2 TH2G 6 monitor will cost more then 2 macbooks .

monitor are a waste of space and you don't need it to operate Catalyst .
Also by not using the monitor you save money for the video distributors .

Read this http://chaldee1.gotadsl.co.uk/~richardb/upload/showthread.php?t=1117

Also think any monitor you are going to buy have a specific size , not the screen it self , talking about the monitor . If you build the flight case around the monitor it self , you will see that you spend money for nothing . Monitor a super consumer , in half year time you will be not able to found same monitor size in the market , and your flightcase will be useless to store your monitors .

Hope this help

SourceChild
19-11-2007, 04:58 AM
in my opinion Catalyst Rack don't need to be a workstation

A small self contained rack (with TH2G) can sit on the des in my office or in a hotel room along with my Hog PC. However, you're point is legitimate.

if are thinking to do some investment it's to buy a little Mac Book

Got one, do use it. In fact, have considered a programmable DMX router so I can switch the macbook DMX fast to each Catalyst in the rig.

by not using the monitor you save money for the video distributors .

By not using monitors, I eliminate a failure point in the line by using distributors. Very good point.

Also think any monitor you are going to buy have a specific size...If you build the flight case around the monitor...in half year time you will be not able to found same monitor size

Marshall makes Rack Mount LCD monitors that will receive DVI and VGA. They have 2 screen and three screen models. The range from $2000 to $3000 USD each. In a year or two there will be different models but the rack footprint and profile will not change.

Yes these are freakin expensive but it would be a turnkey rack that is instantly available.

My philosophy is: If I can save a client can save a potential $10,000 per day expense because I have technology that can setup and program faster as well as program off site, then it means I have become more valuable and therefore can reap higher profitability.

Mr_P
19-11-2007, 10:17 AM
in my opinion Catalyst Rack don't need to be a workstation . Because Catalyst it's not a workstation .

Catalyst it's just a server you don't need to operate it during showtime and you don't need monitor feedback .

What I'll like to suggest you if are thinking to do some investment it's to buy a little Mac Book ( around 1000 euro ) Two monitors ( around 700 euro ) And if you are using 2 TH2G 6 monitor will cost more then 2 macbooks .

monitor are a waste of space and you don't need it to operate Catalyst .
Also by not using the monitor you save money for the video distributors .

I disagree
Catalyst IS the centre of operation in a number of (not all) show setups. Not only is it the replay system, but the matrix switching, projector control etc.

You may not need to 'operate' catalyst during showtime - but you will need to set it up - in some cases, I've had config changes at each venue. therefore you need monitors! A decent DVI DA is £100-160

2 x macbooks may be cheaper - but performance is nothing compared to a well spec'd MacPro. From my personal experience of touring Laptops - i wouldn't suggest it - security, vunerability, increased setup time. Fine if you're a small operator - but go look at any big video rental company around the world - theres a reason they've all purchased mac-pros not laptops....

Read this http://chaldee1.gotadsl.co.uk/~richardb/upload/showthread.php?t=1117

Also think any monitor you are going to buy have a specific size , not the screen it self , talking about the monitor . If you build the flight case around the monitor it self , you will see that you spend money for nothing . Monitor a super consumer , in half year time you will be not able to found same monitor size in the market , and your flightcase will be useless to store your monitors .

Ive actually used the same size flightcase for a number of different 17in monitors over the last few years - all i've had to do is change the foam inside slightly - which is fairly easy and costs nothing.

Once again - this discussion comes down to the requirement for your show. If you touring with no equipment (ie venue provided) then a laptop makes sense.

If you are touring with a full lighting rig, sound, and video screens or projection, then a well designed case and a mac-pro would seem more sensible.

Its not necessarily all about the mac - You still have to consider scan converters, artnet equipment, UPS, and peripheral equipment that you may use with catalyst and for the requirements of your show.

my catalyst rack and iPC actually fits in the back of my car...

emilianomorgia
19-11-2007, 10:26 AM
No wait a minute :) MacBook it's only to do Screen Sharing not to run catalyst it self .

Once again - this discussion comes down to the requirement for your show. If you touring with no equipment (ie venue provided) then a laptop makes sense.

I agree 100% , I was suggesting to think to the purpose of the flight case not to the shape it self .

Peter
19-11-2007, 08:22 PM
And what about this?

http://www.redco.com/shopexd.asp?id=876