PDA

View Full Version : Additional Blend Region Uses

SourceChild
22-10-2007, 10:12 AM
I have a show I am doing in a week where I will be shooting 6 projectors at a wall that is 60' wide. I intend to use two TripleHead2Go boxes on a 2.66 Quad Core to run all 6 projectors.

Since I have a limit of 12 layers (one universe worth), I would prefer being able to create mixes that span the width of each TH2G so that I can theoretically have a stack of 6 layers.

What I don't want is for the content to jump from screen to screen but to appear to invisibly span between the screens.

Instead of edge blending by an overlap of 25% I am instead creating a 25% gap between images. For example, the size of the projection screen is 6'x8' but the virtual image size per third is 7'6"x 10'.

I guess what I am asking for specifically is a feature in the blend menu where a user could choose between "blend" and "expand."

I am attaching a CAD file JPG for reference.

SourceChild
22-10-2007, 10:19 AM
Yes, my obvious alternative is to simply create a two layer submix for each of the six outputs and then just run clone of the files for each group of three and then use x,y shifting to achieve the goal. This is what I will do if I can't get this enhancement but as you can see, this only provides me with two layers per screen.

In all honesty, since my wall will be comprised of 6 screens, I was actually going to create three layer submixes each of screens (1,2) (3,4) (5,6) and then use the two remaining submixes as global. This is however more complex so not necessarily essential in my feature request.

tharding
22-10-2007, 12:19 PM
Try this

X Offsets

Output/Mix 1 = -6
Output/Mix 2 = -3.6
Output/Mix 3 = -1.2
Output/Mix 4 = +1.2
Output/Mix 5 = +3.6
Output/Mix 6 = +6

Cheers

Toby

SourceChild
22-10-2007, 04:32 PM
Try this
X Offsets

Toby, you're right on! This is a realistic scenario for what I was asking.

Thanks

SourceChild
22-10-2007, 04:45 PM
Toby's reply brought up another good point.
I tried t keep the scenario simple to eliminate confusion.
One thing I neglected to mention was that the projectors and screen sizes are going to be different. Therefore, the "Gap" I mention would need to be dynamic for each output of the TH2G.

In the example of a 6x8 screen next to a 9x12screen, 12x16 screen, I would use different offsets of course but I would also use this different "Gap Scaling" feature I am talking about so that an image would get 1/3 bigger each time so that Pink Panther (just an example character) would be the same size when we walks across the boundary of the small projector to the next larger projector, and so on.

If you get right down to it, I guess what I'm asking for is a global scaling feature per mix so that instead of just -10%, -20%, and -25% for edge blending and +n% for gapping, we would in essence have a range of +100% to -100%. (Something that might nicely become a range of 65536 steps or even 256 steps in the future, hint, hint).

emilianomorgia
22-10-2007, 05:48 PM
TripleHead2Go boxes on a 2.66 Quad Core to run all 6 projectors.

What kind of TH2G ? Digital or Analog Edition ?

What kind of GPU ?

I do have 2 TH2G analog edition and I was able to go only at 6x800x600@60hz
using a mac pro 2,66 and ATI xt1900 .

Also what kind of HD ? if you run 6x1024x768 you need a good ( very good ) harddrive .

emilianomorgia
22-10-2007, 05:54 PM
&uot
Since I have a limit of 12 layers (one universe worth), I would prefer being able to create mixes that span the width of each TH2G so that I can theoretically have a stack of 6 layers.

You still have full 12 layers , a single layers can be used in the 6 mixes .
But you know this already Todd

samsc
23-10-2007, 02:24 PM
have you set this up and tested it work - the way you need it to - yet?
I hope you have x1900 graphics cards - on the 7300 it works in the first instance - as soon as you try to do anything fancy it stops working.

i keep asking this - because you are suggesting a scenario that is very close to the edge-
if you get performance problems - or it doesnt work correctly - there is nothing whatsover i can do - you have simply hit the performance limits of the machines.

You do not have infinite resources available - there are very real limits - and you hit them quite soon.

You must test in your proposed scenario - with you entire system - well in advance - with your content - and make changes if it doesnt work-

There really is nothing i can do.

There is a wall there - and you dont know you have hit it - until it stops working.

---

Also - you are really on the edge with any laptop system - the entire time - they dont have any extra capacity.
You must test these things for yourself- with your requirements. Every users needs are subtely different- with different circumstances.

SourceChild
23-10-2007, 08:38 PM
I am actually working with team who intends to let me build a prototyping lab. Many of my questions are for the purpose of justifying the expense. One thing for sure is that when approved, I'll be in a warehouse as much as 60 hours a month doing nothing but conducting tests and developing standards for threshold.

Looks like I'll have:
8 to 12 projectors
A wall of spandex
Assorted Spandex panels
A Macbook Pro with Mtron
A MacPro 2.66 4-core with Mtron
A MacPro 3.00 8-core with Mtron
Two TripleHead2Go
Two DualHead2Go
and possibly an xServeRAID

samsc
26-10-2007, 07:55 PM
I am actually working with team who intends to let me build a prototyping lab. Many of my questions are for the purpose of justifying the expense. One thing for sure is that when approved, I'll be in a warehouse as much as 60 hours a month doing nothing but conducting tests and developing standards for threshold.

Looks like I'll have:
8 to 12 projectors
A wall of spandex
Assorted Spandex panels
A Macbook Pro with Mtron
A MacPro 2.66 4-core with Mtron
A MacPro 3.00 8-core with Mtron
Two TripleHead2Go
Two DualHead2Go
and possibly an xServeRAID

which graphics cards?

SourceChild
26-10-2007, 11:23 PM
which graphics cards?
I will almost always use an x1900 however several of the prototype machines we have have the Quatro FX 4500 in them.

samsc
27-10-2007, 07:04 AM

team?

prototyping lab?

Approval? Approval of what expenses?

By whom?

SourceChild
28-10-2007, 08:57 AM
team?
I've spent 10 years designing shows. A great deal of those have been corporate or private events but a great many have also been Raves where we have gone absolutely nuts with lighting, video, etc.
my team are those designers and visualists across the US who have worked together and who still choose to work together and who know are interested in a cooperative partnership.

prototyping lab?
A big empty warehouse where we can try all of our combinations of equipment, projectors, cameras, and screen mediums. (a big box with toys on it.)

Approval? Approval of what expenses?
Well gear costs money and since Im not the only one dumping money onto this, I need agreement from the other partners.
its sort of our hope to have 8-10 projectors a few Mac Pros, and lighting controllers, not to mention a few hundred yards of spandex.

By whom?