PDA

View Full Version : Video Card Problem

micalg
03-10-2007, 11:45 PM
Hi All,
I am running 3.3_g21_Pro software with Dual Power PC Macs and I have had 2 video cards die. Was wondering if anyone else has had troubles with there video cards. Does anyone have suggestion for the standard video card that came with these Macs becuase I can only find refurbished ones at the moment.

Thank in adavance for any advice and help.

Mical

micalg@blueman.com

tharding
04-10-2007, 12:01 AM
I have had an ATI 9800 overheat and lock up a machine. I had to remove the card directly above it and leave the slot cover off to keep it cool enough. This started happening after it was 2 years old.

When I tried to replace it with a new 9800 or x800 it was almost impossible to track one down.

Are you using the older G5s or newer with PCIe slots? What model of card has died?

Cheers

Toby

micalg
04-10-2007, 03:05 AM
I have the older G5's and this happen at about 2 years old. I have to look about the name of the cards but its the orginal ones that came with the G5's. I am not sure what killed the cards but I know they were the source of my problem. I am concerned for the long term if I keep having video cards die if I will be able to find replacements.

Thanks for the info about the heat being a possible problem.

Mical

samsc
04-10-2007, 06:19 AM
ati stops making cards after a while.

if it isnt listed on ati's website - its gone

your options are here:

http://ati.amd.com/products/mac.html

and their online shop-
http://shop.ati.com/searchresults.asp?dept_id=31
shows out of stock on everything except x1900-

you might try calling an apple dealer- to see if any service parts are available?

---

i would say there is no long term viability for computer products in any market.
products typically have life cycles between6 months and 18 months - its hard for everyone -
chip makers stop making chips-

for end users - you have to move to the latest technology - otherwise you are out of the game -
not much use for a long term show -