PDA

View Full Version : Got some more questions

ryanww
01-10-2007, 02:59 AM
I just bought a pre-owned license of cat off of someone I know.

First question: It is Cat v4 Pro, and Samsc lite. I thought they came with like a starter pack of pixelmad (like 10 universes or something). If I go to the pixelmad tab in preferences, it says demo output universes. I would like to play around with that some day.

Second question: Does anyone have the specific mapping for using a BCF2000 to control anything in cat? And specifically what can it control?

Third: I know this has been discussed a million times. I am trying to find the best possible hard drive setup to go with my mac book pro. Am I best off getting a express card -> dual sata and raiding 2 sata drives? I am not looking for hardcore playpack capabilities. I am probably wanting to be able to do 1 high def file, or a few normal sized & quality videos. Is SAS available as any kind of external feature to the mbp's?

Thanks,
Ryan

samsc
01-10-2007, 07:17 AM
I just bought a pre-owned license of cat off of someone I know.

First question: It is Cat v4 Pro, and Samsc lite. I thought they came with like a starter pack of pixelmad (like 10 universes or something). If I go to the pixelmad tab in preferences, it says demo output universes. I would like to play around with that some day.

Second question: Does anyone have the specific mapping for using a BCF2000 to control anything in cat? And specifically what can it control?

Third: I know this has been discussed a million times. I am trying to find the best possible hard drive setup to go with my mac book pro. Am I best off getting a express card -> dual sata and raiding 2 sata drives? I am not looking for hardcore playpack capabilities. I am probably wanting to be able to do 1 high def file, or a few normal sized & quality videos. Is SAS available as any kind of external feature to the mbp's?

Thanks,
Ryan

1. it does - can you send me a screen capture of the install register dialog.

2. i did more work with the mackie universal controllers. on bcf 2000- only intensity and presets do anything. the bcf 2000 doesnt have enough buttons to do anything useful- without being really complex

3. with mac book pro - get an mtron SATA SSD - put it in an external FW800 case - this is about the best its going to get- FW800 makes a difference over FW400 with the MTRON discs
other than that - try putting a raptor drive in an external fw800 case. dont bother with raid in the first instance. buy one of those cases which has all 4 ports on it-
My firmtek express card blew up - so i cant answer on that
SAS is not an option as far as i know.

ryanww
01-10-2007, 08:38 AM
Screen shot is attached.

Since I have the first version of MBP, it doesn't have the FW800 port on it. Have you had any experience with any of the express/34 firewire 800 cards?

Peter
01-10-2007, 08:40 PM
Why a FW800 and no sata express card with ssd or wont this make a difference?

samsc
04-10-2007, 06:30 AM
Why a FW800 and no sata express card with ssd or wont this make a difference?

not sure what you mean -

samsc
04-10-2007, 06:36 AM
. If I go to the pixelmad tab in preferences, it says demo output universes. I would like to play around with that some day.
Ryan

the demo universes preference is how many universes you get when you dont have a dongle plugged in -

It allows you to test your system - without a dongle - to see whether it works- with your spec- you get red and blue lines etc - but it outputs correctly-

You can go up to 250 universes to test in recent versions-

ryanww
04-10-2007, 04:57 PM
Oh..

I just thought when you bought the Cat4pro dongle, it came with a starter pack of like 10 universes or something to pixelmad.. And then more could be added to that..

Thanks, Ryan

samsc
04-10-2007, 04:59 PM
Oh..

I just thought when you bought the Cat4pro dongle, it came with a starter pack of like 10 universes or something to pixelmad.. And then more could be added to that..

Thanks, Ryan

there are 10- in there-

check out the dmx artnet HUD - universe mapping.