PDA

View Full Version : CMY Transparency

tylerr
11-03-2004, 08:51 PM
I would love a color effect that would allow me to dial in the transparent color.

samsc
11-03-2004, 11:27 PM
yes.

there arent kindof enough colour parameters.

because you need to select the colour, the range of colours to become transparent and the smoothness or sharpness of that transparency.

needs quite a few parameters.

tylerr
16-03-2004, 05:48 PM
yes.

there arent kindof enough colour parameters.

because you need to select the colour, the range of colours to become transparent and the smoothness or sharpness of that transparency.

needs quite a few parameters.

I understand that it needs to be a lot of parameters so is it a control limitation?

Tyler

samsc
04-04-2004, 01:18 PM
I understand that it needs to be a lot of parameters so is it a control limitation?

Tyler

Have you ever tried to do a useable key - even with professional equipment - and the best software?

Its a nightmare....and users would complain the whole time "Its not good enough"

Keying on colours - any colour - is a nightmare.

'Colour' isnt just 'colour'.

Its a research project in itself to get this stuff right.
And their are many many psychological factors at work.
( we read things as continuous colours, where in reality -- there are many many shades caused by shadows, lighting, viewing angle )
The computer cant read the users mind.
The users might think he wants something - the computer cant know what the user wants.
The computer has to interpret the information using a way which is not compatible with the way we perceive colour, or the visual experience of colour.

People are used to seeing professional and seemless compositing - but they dont see the effort and fiddling, which goes on to make this happen.
Nor do they see 'Shake' or whatever at work - in non-real-time with a whole stack of filters trying to extract foreground and background information, smoothly and visually pleasing.
As a last resort ( or even first resort ) on many shoots, people hand draw masks- because its easier to do this than correct anything a computer does automatically.