PDA

View Full Version : Unicast Artnet

glynod
29-08-2007, 02:36 PM
Richard,

I am unable to Unicast data to Artistic Licence Artnet products. PixelMAD can see them in them but they appear greyed out in the DMX Artnet/Universe tab, so I cannot select them. Luminex products are in black text and can be selected. AL products work fine if I Broadcast data to them.

Any ideas?

samsc
30-08-2007, 10:57 PM
Richard,

I am unable to Unicast data to Artistic Licence Artnet products. PixelMAD can see them in them but they appear greyed out in the DMX Artnet/Universe tab, so I cannot select them. Luminex products are in black text and can be selected. AL products work fine if I Broadcast data to them.

Any ideas?

mmm. i will try and check.

basicmonkey
01-09-2007, 10:16 PM
Hi Richard,

I'm having the same problem with Cat m132. My netlynx box shows as "Power on test" in interfaces and is unable for unicast. Works fine broadcast.

Another thing is that I only seem to be able to see one interface on the interfaces screen when i have 2 ethernet and 1 airport interface. I have to disable airport and my other ethernet port to get my artnet one to show, if airport is enabled, it is always the only interface.

Cheers,

James

samsc
02-09-2007, 12:22 PM
seems to work for me-

is this a new Artistic licence box?

basicmonkey
02-09-2007, 06:45 PM
On that drop down my NetLynx (which is unconfigured and works well with unicast from my vista) is grey and unavailable for selection. On the interfaces page it shows as "power on test" continually, tried power cycles etc...

Can you explain why only one network port is available on the interfaces tab at any one time as above? IE: if airport is connected then it is the only one avail etc.. I'd like to be able to have both wired connections active to enable laptop - server comms and artnet, at the moment I seem to have to disable airport and use first ethernet port for artnet or it wont show.

Cheers

samsc
03-09-2007, 08:09 AM
On that drop down my NetLynx (which is unconfigured and works well with unicast from my vista) is grey and unavailable for selection. On the interfaces page it shows as "power on test" continually, tried power cycles etc...
Cheers

which software are you using catalyst or pixelmad?

the 'power on test' message is just a display of whatever the artnet box cares to send in the message field. it does not mean anything.

Can you explain why only one network port is available on the interfaces tab at any one time as above? IE: if airport is connected then it is the only one avail etc.. I'd like to be able to have both wired connections active to enable laptop - server comms and artnet, at the moment I seem to have to disable airport and use first ethernet port for artnet or it wont show.

Cheers

artnet and laptop probably dont have compatible network ranges- networks have subnet masks which determine which physical ( or virtual ) interface is mapped where-

this is the sub net mask in the tcpip settings.

artnet is 2.x.x.x
with subnet mask 255.0.0.0

typically on a LAN a dhcp server will generate addresses in the range 192.168.0.x or similar
with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

what you probably have to do to enable artnet and laptop network on the same physical port is duplicate settings in network setup -

try google- 'Macintosh multi-homing'

i think - then after duplicating the airport settings - you set the duplicate airport network to use an artnet address.

maybe - this stuff is not very easy to understand.

samsc
03-09-2007, 01:38 PM
Richard,

Any ideas?

i think artistic license changed the OEM Id for this device in the artnet reply - i have a list of devices i know about-

i think the way i display this contains a character that disables apple's menu items.

I think i fixed this -

basicmonkey
03-09-2007, 03:43 PM
which software are you using catalyst or pixelmad?

Catalyst m132

artnet and laptop probably dont have compatible network ranges- networks have subnet masks which determine which physical ( or virtual ) interface is mapped where-

this is the sub net mask in the tcpip settings.

artnet is 2.x.x.x
with subnet mask 255.0.0.0

typically on a LAN a dhcp server will generate addresses in the range 192.168.0.x or similar
with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

what you probably have to do to enable artnet and laptop network on the same physical port is duplicate settings in network setup -

try google- 'Macintosh multi-homing'

i think - then after duplicating the airport settings - you set the duplicate airport network to use an artnet address.

maybe - this stuff is not very easy to understand.
I'm normally pretty up to scratch on networking but i've only been in possession of a mac for a week now so it's a little alien.

I've had my network set up with the mac pro using ethernet 2 as artnet (2.0.0.100 and 255.0.0.0) and ethernet 1 as a direct link to my macbookpro (192.168.201.8 and 255.255.255.0) which I use to inject video updates (I'm doing on the fly content generation)

This works fine in mac, but are you saying that Cat doesnt like the mac showing as multiple IPs and only bonds to the first one it finds?

Cheers.

samsc
03-09-2007, 05:22 PM
This works fine in mac, but are you saying that Cat doesnt like the mac showing as multiple IPs and only bonds to the first one it finds?

Cheers.

no- we are talking about something different

this is a different technique- its called multihoming - different network address range - same physical network port.

basicmonkey
03-09-2007, 06:50 PM
Ahh right, I think we might be at cross purposes...

See email.

samsc
04-09-2007, 11:35 AM
Ahh right, I think we might be at cross purposes...

See email.

i dont think so - i can get this to work on my mac pro-

i have airport and 2 ethernet ports- both active and running.

I created a duplicate for ethernet port 2 - with artnet settings- dragged it to the top of the configurations- this makes the mac multihome in this network address range.
if i dont do this i cant see the luminex box on the network- as there is no route to this box with the network configuration.
i have to admit creating multihoming this way isnt obvious at all...

and i can see everything in catalyst-
i didnt even have to restart catalyst... i didnt have to set any network 'interfaces'.

samsc
04-09-2007, 01:13 PM
i can also create other ports - with different address ranges on the same physical port - for accessing my serial port servers-

here i have 2 more network configuration for an easysync serial server, and an equinox one - both of which have different default subnet ranges and addresses.

basicmonkey
05-09-2007, 01:15 AM
No matter what I try, I can't nudge airport off the top. My configs are ordered with airport at the bottom and still it appears at the top of the list and cat bonds to it.

Edit: I've managed to knock Airport off the top by removing it's gateway and no longer says it's connected to the internet through this connection. After doing this I can order the connections how i'd like, cat works great and can discover my net lynx fine!

As soon as I give my airport config a gateway and dns server in manual, it jumps to the top again and can't be shifted, thus cat bonds to that IP.

Strange behaviour.

basicmonkey
05-09-2007, 01:16 AM
Ah, maybe to do with the default gateway?

samsc
05-09-2007, 06:59 AM
Ah, maybe to do with the default gateway?

i believe the gateway handles unknown or not specified address ranges.

can you show me what you did to setup your multihoming?

samsc
05-09-2007, 07:03 AM
thus cat bonds to that IP.

Strange behaviour.

it doesnt matter what ip address i display.
there isnt any 'bonding' like this-

i just display a single network address - the reality is that these days a single computer can have many ip addresses ... for me to display this - and for endusers to have to manage this - would be very confusing.
most of this is handled by the os. i dont have anything to do.
if i did the gui would be a nightmare to deal with.

basicmonkey
06-09-2007, 12:13 AM
I'll get some pictures up when I get the chance, nose deep in programming at the moment.

I'm starting to understand what you mean about the way the OS and Cat handles the IP, sorry for misunderstanding about 'Bonding' just my terminology.

Will catch up on the issue after this hectic few days!

Cheers Richard.