PDA

View Full Version : Remote HUD

FinnRoss
10-08-2007, 06:46 AM
Can the HUD and catalyst control window on, say your laptop, be set to fully control remote machines in a similar way to how Hippo V3 works? I know you can do some of this already but full control would be rather helpful.

emilianomorgia
10-08-2007, 08:28 PM
Can the HUD and catalyst control window on, say your laptop, be set to fully control remote machines in a similar way to how Hippo V3 works? I know you can do some of this already but full control would be rather helpful.

Use ARD that's the best way .

http://images.apple.com/remotedesktop/images/indexhero20060321.jpg
http://www.apple.com/remotedesktop/

Gian
11-08-2007, 12:21 AM
Apple Remote Desktop is the best, specially to manage multiple servers.

Just do not use during show, sometimes can make a server slower.

Mr_P
11-08-2007, 01:26 AM
ARD doesnt work properly when Catalyst is in Full screen mode - ie if you re trying to change things on the HUD. You wont be able to see the mouse or screen updates on the client.

I forget the exact technical explanation, but its to do with ARD not working in the graphics card 3D environment it only works on the desktop

Simon

emilianomorgia
11-08-2007, 09:42 AM
it wrk great here .

Gian
11-08-2007, 07:59 PM
for me too,.. works perfectly. Jut steal some processor power I belive,.. gets little slow the server.

emilianomorgia
12-08-2007, 03:07 PM
ARD doesnt work properly when Catalyst is in Full screen mode - ie if you re trying to change things on the HUD. You wont be able to see the mouse or screen updates on the client.

I forget the exact technical explanation, but its to do with ARD not working in the graphics card 3D environment it only works on the desktop

Simon

Not sure what your system is , but I garantie that work using lasted osx software and intel hardware .

FinnRoss
18-08-2007, 01:23 PM
thanks for your suggestions guys. I've used VNC but that is so slow it is painful!

emilianomorgia
18-08-2007, 03:31 PM
thanks for your suggestions guys. I've used VNC but that is so slow it is painful!

What Client ?

FinnRoss
20-08-2007, 09:11 PM
Chicken of the VNC, usually on my laptop. Know anything faster?

emilianomorgia
20-08-2007, 10:17 PM
Chicken of the VNC, usually on my laptop. Know anything faster?

I did not want to spend money on ARD so I've used Chicken of the VNC and it can't be compared to Apple Remote Desk Top .

The only good advise I can give you, it's to buy a ARD for 299 $ / €

http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/2041/1309/store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/ard3_125.jpg

This is giant leap forward, it work like magic !

You don't only perfectly remote your HUD , you can even throw away you local monitor , and goes directly from GUI to Display/Projector .

Think of the cost of all that useless hardware inside the Box , 2 vga Splitters two monitors cables and all that cost at least 1000 euro per server ! With Apple Remote Desktop you've done the same thing spending 299 per 10 servers .

it might sound extreme but this is the way I'm doing .

Take a look to this http://chaldee1.gotadsl.co.uk/~richardb/upload/showthread.php?t=1117

FinnRoss
21-08-2007, 09:11 AM
Thanks. I agree, the clone HUD thing is very useful; use it all the time. I was just suggesting originally Cat could work similar to Hippo's remote HUD which lets you change lost of setting on the server over Hippo-Net at no extra cost. In the mean time I'll get a copy of ARD for tinkering with my remote servers.

Mr_P
21-08-2007, 11:35 AM
Finn

XL have licence for ARD - I have the SN's

I have had problems in the past (Jan 07) getting ARD to work when Catalyst is in full screen mode (ie HUD). (G5's not Intels)

ARD gets its info from the Desktop GUI not from the 3D engine on the graphics card. Unless this has changed since I came across this problem - then the screen will not update correctly when Catalyst is in full screen mode. (will work fine on desktop mode) Unless I missed some major settings.....

DO CHECK BEFORE YOU COMMIT. I have had 1st hand experience of this NOT working.

I agree - its a 'smarter' way of dealing with multiple servers than kvm's - but is it doesn't work - then its not the best way!!!...

Simon

emilianomorgia
21-08-2007, 11:47 AM
it doesn't work - then its not the best way!!!...

It work here , on G5 and MacPro .

Say the best way AS FAR I KNOW is ARD , in my experience work great .

I've used version 2 and 3 on PPC and Intel

Macmini coro solo
iMac g5
MacPro 2.66
Old g5
Mac Book Pro
Mac Book

All running Cat v4 and again both ARD V2 and v3 -

IMO those are enough different machines to say it work , AS FAR I KNOW .

I have had problems in the past (Jan 07) getting ARD to work when Catalyst is in full screen mode (ie HUD). (G5's not Intels)

What version of ARD SERVER ?
What version of ARD Client ?

Spooky
21-08-2007, 04:07 PM
Hi

I'm running 3 servers and connected with remote desktop to all of them with my lappy, as we speak. With no problems.

Spooky

samsc
21-08-2007, 11:35 PM
have had problems in the past (Jan 07) getting ARD to work when Catalyst is in full screen mode (ie HUD). (G5's not Intels)

simon - i thought in the past you have used various dodgy flavours of vnc - maybe it is these that caused your problems?

Maybe you didnt uninstall them properly-
you definetly had dodgy vnc clients-
maybe you had mixed versions of client and servers. everything should be up to 3.1 now.

ARD gets its info from the Desktop GUI not from the 3D engine on the graphics card. Unless this has changed since I came across this problem - then the screen will not update correctly when Catalyst is in full screen mode. (will work fine on desktop mode) Unless I missed some major settings.....

this is not true.
dont know where you heard "ARD gets its info from the Desktop GUI" its all one 3d world baby....

----

there arent any settings-
i have never had any problems.

i use remote desktop all the time - i havent seen any issues like this.

samsc
21-08-2007, 11:41 PM
I did not want to spend money on ARD so I've used Chicken of the VNC and it can't be compared to Apple Remote Desk Top

i agree - the free VNC clients and servers are not worth the grief- at all.

I last tried using chicken of the VNC on radiohead when we were setting up the 10 screens - all the effort to set them up - and it didnt work with multiple monitors on same mac - and it is much slower than ARD.

Go for Apple remote desktop.

samsc
21-08-2007, 11:47 PM
I was just suggesting originally Cat could work similar to Hippo's remote HUD which lets you change lost of setting on the server over Hippo-Net at no extra cost.

for me - rule number one of product development-
-dont reinvent the wheel-

if someone has gone to all the trouble of developing something to do a job - and it does it effectively enough - dont try to duplicate the effort.

ARD does so much - and it does it so well.

the 'no extra cost' is 6 months of development time for me.

Mr_P
22-08-2007, 11:05 PM
Finn is one of our clients - so I have to advise caution, especially if he is going to shell out £300 on a product where I have see it not work as expected.... potentially he may be using the same macs that I did...

I agree, there may be some version conflict - I will check on this next time I'm re-prepping a number of these systems.

I am happy to see that so many people are using VNC successfully - However, I would be negligent if I advised a client that certain technology or software works 'perfectly' if I have had experience to the contrary...

samsc
22-08-2007, 11:54 PM
Simon - ARD is £199

I would seriously have to caution the use of any VNC other than ARD.

I have never had any trouble with ARD.

So if you have seen such a thing - you need to provide accurate descriptions of the problems you encountered - and you need to check then recheck- and then please provide information on the configuration you are using - thinking you have seen a problem is not really very informative-

ensure that all the clients and servers are running the same version - v3.1 is the latest-
and disable all the other VNC clients/servers correctly.

( one of the mistakes that can be made - you can have a non-ARD server, and ARD running at the same time on the same computers on different tcpip ports. you need to make sure that all traces of the 3rd party vnc have been removed - ARD and the other VNC servers use the same protocol called the 'Remote frame buffer' RFB protocol
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_remote_desktop_software
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RFB_Protocol

RD gets its info from the Desktop GUI not from the 3D engine on the graphics card. Unless this has changed since I came across this problem - then the screen will not update correctly when Catalyst is in full screen mode. (will work fine on desktop mode)

It would seem to me from this assertion above - that you have the exact problem i talk of here - you have a vnc client/server installed that is not doing the right thing-
because i have used ARD to monitor the output from catalyst in full screen - on several monitors simultaneously without any problems at all for several years. it is a vital tool for me to prevent me going insane.

)

Richard