PDA

View Full Version : Catalyst v4.1m132 - needs testing

samsc
03-07-2007, 10:26 PM
Trying to remove some of the braindead bits-

This version needs testing - by users with large libraries-

---

Quick Scanning files takes a lot less time - people have large libraries loading the application took too long-
So with large library application loads very quickly. Should be at least 20x faster.

Image thumbnails are preserved when application is restarted.

All full scan files does is make new image thumbnails- so it isnt needed very often.
Also increased resolution of thumbnail images.
Will improve more.

---

New video input options -

Cropped video inputs. Each input can be cropped - which means you can use quad splitters or zandar multiplexers - i have done this on many shows recently to get more inputs.
Video input channel aliasing. You can duplicate a single video input with different cropping or colour fx settings.
Colour FX on video input channels. You can have an input with one setting that makes it black and white - and another that is super saturated - without having to do this in a layer.

All these things work up to 1920 x 1080 - You can crop and duplicate and use colour fx on full 1920 x 1080 inputs.
Tested with PAL V1P Sony HDMI camera with 1920x1080 progressive scan using HDMI and Decklink intensity.

I can have at least 4 virtual 1920x1080 inputs each with its own crop on my intel macpro.
Deinterlacing can be turned on or off for each input - including virtual inputs

---

Other things
Increased Pro version to 14 layers and 8 mixes.
Can you actually playback 14 layers? Yes you can. With an 8 core intel, and a RAM disc i have been able to play 14 layers of dv at 25FPS.
You can also playback 14 layers - if you use smaller movies on older machines.
You can playback a lot of layers of 320x240 jpeg movies.

New LITE version with only 2 layers - but not crippled in any other way.
800 presets in all versions.
Added support for controlling professional Pioneer dvd players.
MTC output. And midi notes/controllers output from cue list.
Router and repeater for serial output commands - to send same data to multiple destinations.
More sound input fx for multichannel audio inputs. Including texture mapped ones for creating VU type meters

Gian
04-07-2007, 03:56 AM
I will test that,... Fast Scan is great news,.... we have almost 5000 clips.

Regards

BTW - Richard, did you got my emails from last week ? Regards

samsc
04-07-2007, 09:26 AM
I will test that,... Fast Scan is great news,.... we have almost 5000 clips.

Regards

BTW - Richard, did you got my emails from last week ? Regards
please tell me how it works with 5000 files. click 'scan files' once to generate thumbnails -
quick scan should be almost instantaneous.

---

emails-Im still trying to catchup on everything i have to do.

rosswill
04-07-2007, 02:35 PM
In the video inputs manager should left and right be labelled x and y? Also should there be a zoom control for fine positioning of quad split feeds?

Ross

samsc
04-07-2007, 04:00 PM
In the video inputs manager should left and right be labelled x and y? Also should there be a zoom control for fine positioning of quad split feeds?

Ross

x and y - gets into the coordinate problem - top left versus bottom left coordinates...
video systems normally use top left coordinates.
x and y is normally bottom left....

---

zoom control - you can resize the video input window. and it is single pixel accurate with the controller. you should be able to type in a number....

---

samsc
04-07-2007, 04:05 PM

Ross

you asked for a vu meter type visual fx some time ago. this is in there.... its being used on peter gabriel. they wanted 8 vu meters. using a motu ultralite.

works with multichannel sound inputs

rosswill
04-07-2007, 04:14 PM
Maybe the gui needs to show which are crop and which are position controls?

samsc
04-07-2007, 04:58 PM
Maybe the gui needs to show which are crop and which are position controls?

yes it does

Spam Butterfly
04-07-2007, 10:08 PM
The crop and position stuff worked fine for me on Groenemeyer.

Hugh

samsc
04-07-2007, 10:44 PM
The crop and position stuff worked fine for me on Groenemeyer.

Hugh

hugh used a 720p output from a zandar box to get 4x sdi inputs into a decklink card.
Crop and position was used to create 4 individually selected video inputs in Catalyst.

Gian
05-07-2007, 03:20 AM
I am in a show during this weekend,.. but I will post the Scan files on monday.

So far, the Video capture is great,... The MIDI Timecode output too. etc...

Regards

FinnRoss
05-07-2007, 12:31 PM
will give it good thrashing this weekend on big multiple-input-doing-lost-of-fancy-things type show!

samsc
05-07-2007, 12:44 PM
will give it good thrashing this weekend on big multiple-input-doing-lost-of-fancy-things type show!

thanks

Gian
12-07-2007, 12:57 AM
The SCAN works great, like 25 - 30 seconds from OPEN to Full Screen, with 6200 files on the library.

JeffN
12-07-2007, 03:00 AM
Crash on my machine after attaching library - booted fine - selected library folder and closed app. Relaunched - then a crash. I'll try to get a system profile tommorow.

Jeff

emilianomorgia
12-07-2007, 06:55 AM
Careful , the 14 layers overlap IU if remote is on

See picture .

emilianomorgia
12-07-2007, 06:58 AM
iR , working with m132 to drive 3 Christies Digital 16k + 2 HES Orbital Heads I've found this :

Peperoni 's Rodin 2 , need to be unplug and re-plug on Catalyst application re restart . If I close Cat.app and re- open it Rodin don't work any more , ( This is not m132 only )

Curved Shape need global rotation like in mix keystone options . The Orbitals Heads Turn the Image so I need a Default rotated Mix wich is possible to do using Mix Keystoning Options , but it is not using Curved Shape .

Soft edge need different user preset . I need to store the different preset for each different orbital heads position . I need to create different panorama scenarios in different positions .

Soft edge users preset need to be recallable from DMX .

samsc
12-07-2007, 07:34 AM
Crash on my machine after attaching library - booted fine - selected library folder and closed app. Relaunched - then a crash. I'll try to get a system profile tommorow.

Jeff

thanks. please send pdf profile from catalyst
i saw a crash on 10.4.0 this week. something broken in an os version.

samsc
12-07-2007, 07:44 AM
thanks emiliano

JeffN
12-07-2007, 03:10 PM
thanks. please send pdf profile from catalyst
i saw a crash on 10.4.0 this week. something broken in an os version.

heres the system profile -

samsc
12-07-2007, 03:40 PM
heres the system profile -

this doesnt have the crash report for m132 inside it-

please run m132 from inside empty folder ( with no files loading ) and create pdf profile again.

---

also running triple head to go on Dual 2Ghz G5 not really recommended - if this is what you are doing.
especially with slow scsi disc like atlas 10k5

JeffN
23-07-2007, 05:22 PM
Here's the system profile for the new version -

I know I'm pushing it with my catalyst rig - Right now I only run a dual head to go. I'm using it for 2 dl1's edgeblended. Unfortuanley when I replace the mac I have to replace my SDI card and all - Anything I can do to increase the performance of my current rig with out making the switch to a new intel mac?

Jeff

samsc
23-07-2007, 09:00 PM
Here's the system profile for the new version -

I know I'm pushing it with my catalyst rig - Right now I only run a dual head to go. I'm using it for 2 dl1's edgeblended. Unfortuanley when I replace the mac I have to replace my SDI card and all - Anything I can do to increase the performance of my current rig with out making the switch to a new intel mac?

Jeff

what disc do you have again? was it the maxtor 10k5?

JeffN
24-07-2007, 04:42 PM
Yes.

samsc
24-07-2007, 05:18 PM
Yes.

get a 15k hard disc - or borrow one - try fujitsu max 3147 available from cdw.

that was the best in the older computers.

JeffN
24-07-2007, 06:50 PM
Is there an upgrade I can do to my video card? I find that it takes a while to start opengl.

Jeff

samsc
24-07-2007, 08:07 PM
Is there an upgrade I can do to my video card? I find that it takes a while to start opengl.

Jeff

you will be lucky to find any videocard.

the slow startup time is a bug in allocating data used by catalyst on older cards. there is no way to fix this that i know. its in the os.
its not something that upgrading would help. it seems to affect certain g5 models - and certain combinations of video cards or drivers.
i havent seen anything consistent.

it doesnt happen on new machines.

Mauricio Caicedo
01-08-2007, 04:32 PM
I haven't had the opportunity to test m132, but I will do so this weekend.
For now I have a doubt concerning DMX channels, driving 14 layers requires 560 channels, I'm using a Hog3PC with the 4 universe DMX output, these can only drive 512 channels per universe.
Am I limited to 12 channels???
How can I solve this??

emilianomorgia
01-08-2007, 07:30 PM
I haven't had the opportunity to test m132, but I will do so this weekend.
For now I have a doubt concerning DMX channels, driving 14 layers requires 560 channels, I'm using a Hog3PC with the 4 universe DMX output, these can only drive 512 channels per universe.
Am I limited to 12 channels???
How can I solve this??

well first of all 14 layers it's just an option . Catalyst work even with one layer only .

The best DMX interface to control catalyst ( IMO ) it's not the CIB , you can use ARTNET .

With ARTNET you can run zilions of DMX univers in the same cat5 cable .

If you want to run a 14 layers + accessories Catalyst I suggest to get a DMX to ARTNET box like this . http://www.artisticlicence.com/item37.htm

So you can use two different univers .

the cost of this boxes are a fraction of the CIB they work better and they are more handy .

But I repeat , you are not forced to run 14 layers , that's it's only an option .

tharding
02-08-2007, 11:32 AM
Alternatively you can sacrifice the Keystone control parameters to get more layers on a DMX stream using 32 channel fixtures.

Cheers

Toby

emilianomorgia
02-08-2007, 11:51 AM
Well this is not the right place to ask for ... But I think we need a shrink layer DMX layout . I rarely do have to use all the 40 ch . It could be very very handy having a " Layer Mode " one with 40 Ch and an other shrink version .

Thanks

samsc
06-08-2007, 03:07 PM
Well this is not the right place to ask for ... But I think we need a shrink layer DMX layout . I rarely do have to use all the 40 ch . It could be very very handy having a " Layer Mode " one with 40 Ch and an other shrink version .

Thanks

i get people who want to add many many channels - and others who need fewer....

litemover
06-08-2007, 04:47 PM
I like what you have been doing to manage this lately, Richard. Add new channels for separate options like the mix shape and mix layer, preset trigger, etc...

This keeps the original version down to a manageable size and lets you add additional functionality if you want or need it. Works out great so far.

Christian