PDA

View Full Version : Web Server connection speed

technick
09-05-2007, 05:51 AM
I'm about to run a show using a Chamsys MQ200 which can take thumbnails over ethernet from my catalyst server. Question is will this run ok at a 100m cat5 run as the speed will be limited to 10Mbits?

Also I was hoping to put my powerbook on the network as well to act as a remote control for main server. This all looks very possible in theory but any comments or helpful suggestions appreciated.

Nick

emilianomorgia
09-05-2007, 10:10 AM
Question is will this run ok at a 100m cat5 run as the speed will be limited to 10Mbits?

no one knows , too many factors

100 meters ? Go with Fiber optic if you want to make sure

Also I was hoping to put my powerbook on the network as well to act as a remote control for main server.

What for ? What kind of remote ?

samsc
09-05-2007, 10:25 AM
I'm about to run a show using a Chamsys MQ200 which can take thumbnails over ethernet from my catalyst server. Question is will this run ok at a 100m cat5 run as the speed will be limited to 10Mbits?

Also I was hoping to put my powerbook on the network as well to act as a remote control for main server. This all looks very possible in theory but any comments or helpful suggestions appreciated.

Nick

what is limited to 10MBit/sec?

Ethernet doesnt have this limit.

Gigabit ethernet does 100m.

technick
09-05-2007, 11:23 AM
The limit came from cable spec! Maybe I should get a different cable...

If any one has a recomendation for either a good fibre solution or a good cable that will cope with being coiled a few times let me know!

samsc
09-05-2007, 12:00 PM
The limit came from cable spec! Maybe I should get a different cable...

If any one has a recomendation for either a good fibre solution or a good cable that will cope with being coiled a few times let me know!

are you sure about the cable limits?

10MBit ethernet kindof dissapeared quite a few years ago.

i cant imagine anyone would sell such a thing these days.

technick
09-05-2007, 12:21 PM
I thought it was odd but here is link to product. Maybe they are just being cautious!

http://www.klotz-ais.com/cgi-bin/quickorder/lshop.cgi?action=showdetail&wkid=1178709578-15165&ls=e&nc=&rubnum=&artnum=RC5EED&file=&gesamt_zeilen=&p8=

samsc
10-05-2007, 04:51 PM
this is professional cable - they will have their reasons for doing what they do.