PDA

View Full Version : System Configuration

Gian
01-03-2007, 10:24 AM
I know that was previously discussed here, But I wanna upgrade some of our systems, what configuration you all are using,... And please comment on our configs if look similar to some of you etc.... Thanks

Syatem 3
MacPro 2.66
2 Gigs RAM
X1900 512 Mb
Blackmagic Extreme HD
DV Firewire 400 Capture Pinacle (second IN)
1 TripleHead
1 MXO
System HD
Internal RAID 0 Apple Raid via Software, with 3 250G 7200 3Gbs for Content.
ArtNet

Systems 1 and 2
Dual 2.0 G5
Radeon 9800 256 Mb
Blackmagic Extreme PCI-X
1 TripleHead
System HD
External RAID 0 LaCie via Software, with 4 250G 7200 Firewire 800
for Content
High End Sys CIB

All with Mac OS X 10.4.8 and all Quicktime PRO and others latest version

Catalyst Software 4.06 in all systems.

Thanks to all, apprecciate any comments.

emilianomorgia
01-03-2007, 11:07 AM
I know that was previously discussed here, But I wanna upgrade some of our systems, what configuration you all are using,... And please comment on our configs if look similar to some of you etc.... Thanks

System 3 it's just Rock !

How did you solve the THTG monitor preview vga distribution ?
did you buy an extra VGA distributor ?

I usually just use VNC client to configure the server . In Every job I'm doing I just run the Server Head Less ( actully there are heads , the video projectors ) but no preview Displays . I think if you using the THTG it's best choice .

Since THTG stress the GPU so much , I see that DHTG it's less stress for the system , even if you use two per server .

An internal AirPort it's very useful if you want to use VNC or Apple Remote Desktop .
The Air Port do also really good job for Layers Sync wireless ( just used with two servers )

don't listen to me on this : "If you can spend money , you could buy an UNTESTED solid state HD .
it's a Hard Drive made by banks of memories , it cost a fortune and no one have test it on catalyst yet .
Here an Example http://www.adtron.com/products/solid-state-disk.html "

About system 1 e 2 I assume they are full HES package , may be two years old ?

Think about , you spend about 15 .000 EURO for those G5 ( may be more ) , if I ware you I'll sell the old G5 , keep the whole HES Rack Case and replaice the G5 with a new Mac Pro , I see that standard price for what catalyst need it's less then 3.000 EURO with no video input cards .

Sorry for my ignorance ,
could
Blackmagic Extreme PCI-X
be used on a mac pro ?

This what I think about

Cheers

Gian
01-03-2007, 12:42 PM
For preview the THTG, I use 3 VGA Distributors Extron, and 3 monitors.
I also have Renote Desktop on my Laptop and Airport Enabled in all systems.
works great to moniyor things out, specialy when you leave the servers on Stage.

Systems 1 and 2 are HES pre built, but we do not have the Cases (expensive to transport to Brazil etc,...) See attachment picture of our systems 1 and 2.
We changed the NoBreack for a nicer one APC RackMount Black, looks good now. YES, they are about to make 2 years OLD.... and the idea is change the computers to MacPros ( Money Money Money..... )

Blackmagic Extreme PCI-X
On the G5's are PCI-X
on the Mac Pro is Blackmagic Extreme HD PCI-e they are not swapble unfortnutly.

be used on a mac pro ? YES, without a problem and is very very cheap.

Thanks,....

emilianomorgia
01-03-2007, 10:29 PM
For preview the THTG, I use 3 VGA Distributors Extron, and 3 monitors.

Can you pls gimme an idea of price for 3 VGA Distributors Extron, and 3 monitors?

Pls tell me if I'm wrong . Does not those Vga Box + monitors cost more the a little Mac Book ?

a Mac book Cost 999 euro and can monitoring infinite Cat servers , nothing agaist your config , just thinking about investment .
my idea of cat set it's no monitors no vga distributors , I'm sure you can save money using a little mac book and vcn .
I never understood the meaning of monitor preview , they are totaly placebo .

Tell me if I'm ,wrong does not those 3 VGA Distributors Extron, and 3 monitors cost more then 1000 euro ? " 2.795,096 Brazilian Real "

Cheers