PDA

View Full Version : No HUD on Triple Head 2 Go

SourceChild
20-12-2006, 09:29 PM
I can see the HUD on the second output window but I have no content showing and no HUD when I go to full screen on the Triple Head 2 Go.
I have switched the TH2G to both catalyst outputs and left the second concurrent output disconnected and no success.
The TH2G works fine until I go to full screen. Then no HUD and no files showing.

SourceChild
20-12-2006, 09:57 PM
Actually, I just realized the G5 I grabbed was one with a radeon 9800. So it was the GPU. However, for testing I dropped Rez down to 2400 x 600 (3 - 800x600) an I am noticing some pretty significant overhead.
One file DV NTSC and this is what I've got:
Graphics - 90% to 140%
Timing - 100% to 150%
This seems odd to me. Like I said, 1 DV file running only.

samsc
20-12-2006, 10:12 PM
which os?
which g5?

anything at these resolutions is very very dependant on your system.

and also on any other monitors you have connected.

---

there isnt any significant overhead on recent machines - i have run 6 outputs on quad g5's and intel machines without problems.

---

please use the catalyst application menu - "Create pdf Profile", to create a pdf file with all your system information.

samsc
20-12-2006, 11:12 PM
I can see the HUD on the second output window but I have no content showing and no HUD when I go to full screen on the Triple Head 2 Go.
I have switched the TH2G to both catalyst outputs and left the second concurrent output disconnected and no success.
The TH2G works fine until I go to full screen. Then no HUD and no files showing.

did you read how to set up and use the triple head to go in the 'whats new document? from m67'

http://homepage.mac.com/goatee/.cv/goatee/Sites/.Public/whats%20new%20in%20v4%20110807.pdf-zip.zip

do you understand what this does - and how it works?

SourceChild
21-12-2006, 02:03 AM
I absolutely know how this device works. That is why when I realized which video card I had, I realized the rez was too High for it.

If you remember, I was the one who was first mentioned using this device before it was released. I've used them plenty of times for other things but only since you added the code for doing the screen ratios have I been using them with Catalyst. Incidentally, I also use them with the edge blending feature as well since many of my set designs are comprised of irregular stretched spandex.

The circumstances today were specific to setting up a machine with one of the TH2G loading the new build you just released.

I thought I might have discovered a bug in the new build when I dropped the rez to what was within the range of the video card and noticed the high processing overhead.

Here is the PDF attached.

samsc
21-12-2006, 08:07 AM
thanks for the profile Todd.

its very complex working through things that can and do happen with third party hardware.

there are many many combinations of devices systems, hardware - and its not possible to provide any 'rules of thumb' when things dont work.

you probably havent discovered a 'bug' but a combination of things that doesnt work with a specific system setup. ( and there will be many of them ). just as there are also many combinations that do work.

So -its really really important that i get as many details as possible.

---

what you described happens on early and older systems when their display resolutions are not setup correctly. or two monitors are connected at different refresh rates - and other things like this.

samsc
21-12-2006, 08:28 AM
todd.

one of your monitors is 1280x1024 at 60Hz?
the other 3072x768 at 75Hz?

you have installed some older ATI display drivers? I noticed you have something called ATI monitor running?

-----

running monitors at different refresh rates is almost always a problem - you need to find a resolution that works - or combination of resolutions and refresh rates that work.

also suggest you uninstall any ATI drivers or monitors.
As unless these are very recent - they are likely to be the source of bugs in graphics.
But they might not. There are too many combinations of things.

---

This isnt going to fix anything - but suggest also you install 10.4.8

Improve
21-12-2006, 01:18 PM
I had a setup with triple heads on a G5. And besides a mouse I got no HUD and nothing at all when running fullscreen.

Finaly Ruediger send me a PDF with information on triplehead stating that the G5 is not supported with triple head...

Please find enclosed this PDF

samsc
21-12-2006, 01:32 PM
I had a setup with triple heads on a G5. And besides a mouse I got no HUD and nothing at all when running fullscreen.

Finaly Ruediger send me a PDF with information on triplehead stating that the G5 is not supported with triple head...

Please find enclosed this PDF

not true - as i have a show - 'Keane" tour - running on a quad g5 with both triple and dual heads. i think rob has 4 or 6 outputs. I cant remember.
http://www.keanemusic.com/

i also have a several g5's on other shows with these devices.
including 'waves' at the national theatre.
http://www.nationaltheatre.org.uk/?lid=20233

all the information from matrox has been inaccurate.
this pdf simply shows what matrox might have tested - not what works.

it depends on the graphics card - and it depends on the operating system.
there are no rules of thumb-
these devices also sometimes work at different resolutions on different machines.

if it works - it works - it if doesnt it doesnt.
you have to test it.
not every resolution is supported at every refresh rate - sometimes only 2400x800 works - sometimes only 1920x480 works.

samsc
21-12-2006, 01:41 PM

which g5 do you have - and what resolution did you try?

did you make sure you set up the resolution using system preferences BEFORE running catalyst - ?
You setup up the screen resolution BEFORE running catalyst - and you need to check you get a desktop output.

Improve
21-12-2006, 01:56 PM
We had a double 2G G5 with the ATI 9800.

We ran from display propertys both outputs on 3072 x 768 with triple heads.. I hardly got that working from the Apple. Starting up Catalyst then en entering full screen.. No output what so ever and NO HUD's...

I was running m92 you send me for this show...

Ruediger tested this simultane in Germany on a G5 as well with another build and got the same result.

RuedigerH
21-12-2006, 02:28 PM
The machine is on the road and will return to Arcus-warehouse tomorrow.
I will then sent/check the profile.

I got the same issues like Fons with a G5 Dual 2GHz with ATI X800XT and OS 10.4.8.

Ruediger

emilianomorgia
21-12-2006, 02:49 PM
not sure what you talking about . I know that some time the second head give problem during start up . i had many problems with it .

It seams that osX do not recognize it .

samsc
21-12-2006, 03:12 PM

I got the same issues like Fons with a G5 Dual 2GHz with ATI X800XT and OS 10.4.8.

Ruediger

thats a really old g5.

if it works it works - if it doesnt it doesnt.

depends on the maximum resolution that the x800 will support - you have to start at lowest resolutions - try 640x480 times 2 which is 1280x480 or 1920x480.
you must not expect these devices to work at high-resolution of 1024x768x3. or even 800x600x3

x800 might only support up to 2048x1536 - and thats the maximum. triple head or no triple head.
the specs and the limits are real.

Mobility™ Radeon® X800 Series supports the latest high resolution and wide-screen notebook displays with a flexible and easy-to-use interface for multiple display settings. ATI’s new LCD Enhancement Engine (LCD-EE™) allows for support of the latest high resolution and wide-screen notebook displays such as WXGA (1920x1200) and QXGA (2048x1536).

you are dealing with real hardware and software limits.
Many older graphics cards only every worked - even at their maximum up to 1920x1200 - and even that was really pushing it. it really was.
the matrox triple and dual head - pushes things well over these limits.

you have to test every single combination you intend using.
and if you try to work at this resolution on two screens -?

samsc
21-12-2006, 03:15 PM
We had a double 2G G5 with the ATI 9800.

We ran from display propertys both outputs on 3072 x 768 with triple heads.. I hardly got that working from the Apple. Starting up Catalyst then en entering full screen.. No output what so ever and NO HUD's...

I was running m92 you send me for this show...

Ruediger tested this simultane in Germany on a G5 as well with another build and got the same result.

very very old machine - 9800 very old graphics card.
suggest you did something that was not supported by this card. or this machine.

you cannot just plug this in and expect it to work - you have to test it.
i would be very suprised if a 9800 in a dual 2.0Ghz g5 went above 1920x1200 at its maximum - on a single output - which means you are leaping into the dark.

You say it hardly worked in 'apple' - then you expect it to work in a graphics intensive app like catalyst on an old low-spec machine?

samsc
21-12-2006, 03:20 PM
not sure what you talking about . I know that some time the second head give problem during start up . i had many problems with it .

It seams that osX do not recognize it .

and what machine were you trying to use?

samsc
21-12-2006, 03:22 PM

Ruediger

yes and your graphics cards probably only work up to 2048x1536- if that?
and these are very old old machines.
you have to actually look at the specs of the machines...

---

there is no mystery here -

you are expecting these machines to do more than they are capable of....

this isnt a bug - in either hardware or software - you guys are pushing things over the limits....

tharding
22-12-2006, 01:48 AM
I have noticed with the same machine (except with a 9800) that even using The new Edge blending and widescreen overlap features that the graphics card is the bottle neck.

I have even had one card the overheats and I need to remove the card directly above it to keep it working.

After that experience I don't think I would even try the Matrox boxes on a machine/card that old.

The cards were great in their day but that day has passed.

Cheers

Toby

SourceChild
22-12-2006, 04:26 AM
The Radeon 9800 is capable of doing 3072 x 768 but for graphics only. Then it's running as a movie playback device, it will only support up to 2400 x 600. It was my mistake running the box with a 9800. When I swopped cards, it worked the way I was hoping. There were still some inconsistencies but I think that the 9800 needs to go in the trash.

SourceChild
22-12-2006, 04:34 AM
one of your monitors is 1280x1024 at 60Hz?
the other 3072x768 at 75Hz?

Yeah, the moment I started troubleshooting I killed the 2nd mon and ran the TH2G by itself on the 9800. This helped obviously.

you have installed some older ATI display drivers? I noticed you have something called ATI monitor running?

Yeah, that's the problem with pulling a machine out of an old render farm.

running monitors at different refresh rates is almost always a problem - you need to find a resolution that works - or combination of resolutions and refresh rates that work.

Yes, and there is that funky thing with the TH2G where certain refresh rates are not supported at certain screen sizes.

also suggest you uninstall any ATI drivers or monitors.
As unless these are very recent - they are likely to be the source of bugs in graphics.
But they might not. There are too many combinations of things.

I don't even know why they are on the box except that the systems was updated by someone who apparently used the ATI cd to install a driver that was older than the tiger driver.

This isnt going to fix anything - but suggest also you install 10.4.8

What's the advantage of 10.4.8?

RuedigerH
22-12-2006, 08:21 AM
Dear gents,

thanks for your answers and experienced comments.
We just disregarded the specs from the graphics card and didn't proof in advance.
The Matrox PR also guide me in the wrong direction...

Ruediger
ARCUS

samsc
22-12-2006, 08:42 AM
Dear gents,

thanks for your answers and experienced comments.
We just disregarded the specs from the graphics card and didn't proof in advance.
ARCUS

you really really really whenever you push things have to test in advance - Dual 2GHz machines are old now - ancient in computer years.
and when they came out such high resolutions would never even have been considered possible.

samsc
22-12-2006, 08:44 AM
What's the advantage of 10.4.8?

because i dont run any machines with older OS's

and because there have been significant graphics changes since 10.4.6

samsc
22-12-2006, 08:48 AM
The new Edge blending and widescreen overlap features that the graphics card is the bottle neck.

I have even had one card the overheats and I need to remove the card directly above it to keep it working.

After that experience I don't think I would even try the Matrox boxes on a machine/card that old.

Toby

yes these new features definitely need newer machines with faster cards....

samsc
22-12-2006, 08:50 AM
The Radeon 9800 is capable of doing 3072 x 768 but for graphics only. Then it's running as a movie playback device, it will only support up to 2400 x 600. It was my mistake running the box with a 9800. When I swopped cards, it worked the way I was hoping. There were still some inconsistencies but I think that the 9800 needs to go in the trash.

and catalyst has very large requirements for graphics and textures.
and for it to perform well.

there will be no difference in image between 3072x768 and 2400x600- something somewhere has to do the scaling - you dont get anymore detail by running the outputs at higher resolution.

---

i would like to suggest that you use these devices on pci-e machines, and not the older ones.