PDA

View Full Version : How long does it take to learn how to use Catalyst?

samsc
04-08-2003, 12:07 AM
How long does it take to learn how to use Catalyst?

samsc
16-02-2004, 09:49 PM
i dont know

RobF
19-03-2004, 05:35 PM
How long have you got? ;o)

I'd say a competent DMX programmer can do a simple show with Catalyst after one days training.

Understanding what is really happening with the content on the machine and the finer points of say the Colour FX channel is going to take longer and ideally involve some time spent experimenting with the system hands on.

Its a bit like Chess. Pretty quick to get started but depending on what level you want to reach a bit longer to master.

Some operators have said that in order to use Catalyst at the highest level you have to become a content creator yourself which requires you to learn other applications as well...

Martin
19-03-2004, 08:10 PM
To learn how to program catalyst via a dmx desk, is very, very easy. To learn why dv-pal is better than jpg, why you have to use at least S-ATA discs and so on.. well im still learning, and probably will be for a very, very long time. I would love for you to write a lighting persons guide to video..

samsc
22-03-2004, 05:16 PM
To learn how to program catalyst via a dmx desk, is very, very easy. To learn why dv-pal is better than jpg, why you have to use at least S-ATA discs and so on.. well im still learning, and probably will be for a very, very long time. I would love for you to write a lighting persons guide to video..

i would like to do that too.
there is more to video than controlling it via dmx

Martin
22-03-2004, 09:21 PM
there is more to video than controlling it via dmx

My point exactly. maybe if you include a small tips and tricks in each section of the manual, kinda like why you want to do this and that?
However, i do know that you are extremely busy....

samsc
22-03-2004, 10:44 PM
My point exactly. maybe if you include a small tips and tricks in each section of the manual, kinda like why you want to do this and that?
However, i do know that you are extremely busy....

i always wanted to do this.

i try to teach all the people around me to edit and use after effects.
lara just edited my training film - and she did the blurring animated gobos in v1.2

little tricks and tips.